6-16-2011

I made an improvised lentil soup with Swiss chard.  To go with the soup, I made buttermilk biscuits.

 I have been busy this week and this meal was pretty easy to put together after a full day of work.  I had to swing by the Checker’s on the way home because I was out of onions—and while I was hurriedly shopping, I saw some Swiss chard that looked like a perfect addition to the soup I was planning.  These two ingredients were the only items I didn’t already have on hand.  The rest of the ingredients were things I’m trying to use up.  I had carrots and celery left over from all the salads I made for the Summer Birthday-Party Picnic.  Olive oil and canned tomatoes and garlic are usually on hand.  There’s thyme growing in the garden.  I bought 5 bags of lentils recently when they were on sale for  45 cents a bag and my soup used up maybe half a bag.  I recently made three full batches of stock from the saved components stuffed into one of my freezers, so now I’ve got a lot to work through (15 quarts are waiting on ice in my chest freezer; add this to the lentils and we might be looking at the summer of improvised lentil soup; maybe I could just throw in a variety ingredient to each batch and call each one a new creation: lentil soup with red bell pepper and green onion sounds good).  The Swiss chard was very tasty after a long simmering and I think it lent the soup a richness it might not have had otherwise.  This was all very “Mediterranean,” this combination of greens and beans.  After I made the soup, I flipped through my copy of Shulman’s Mediterranean Harvest  to see if I could find a similar soup and I found one very much like it just sitting there in the soup section.  Shulman added a bay leaf.  I always forget the bay leaves when I make stuff up.  I’m not sure why.


The buttermilk biscuits were another use-it-up recipe.  I’ve got a bunch of buttermilk leftover from the potato salad I made for the picnic.  When I was last in this position, I made a big batch of waffles (which is what I often do with left-over buttermilk).  We’ve still got a lot of those left, so I had to do something different.  I used Madison’s recipe from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.